Monday, April 8, 2013

Salmonella (Salmonellosis)


Overview
Salmonella is the name for a family of bacteria that cause diarrheal illness in humans. Salmonella is most commonly thought of as the bacteria that lives on raw poultry, and while this is true, it is also found on raw beef, milk, eggs, and even fruits and vegetables. It can be spread directly from the contaminated food or from fecal contact with an infected person. Salmonella bacteria are the type of bacteria that cause "food poisoning" (ie, a fever, vomiting, and diarrheal illness caused by contaminated food). This type of "food poisoning" is more properly called salmonellosis. Salmonella Typhi is a type of Salmonella that causes typhoid fever; this is also includes fever, vomiting, and often diarrheal illness, but it is much more severe that salmonellosis. Salmonella can also be spread from animals to humans; reptiles (including pet turtles) and chicks and ducklings (even those that look well and are not sick) can spread Salmonella and cause salmonellosis in humans.

How do I get Salmonella?
  • By eating or drinking foods contaminated with Salmonella, usually raw or undercooked poultry or beef, raw milk, raw eggs, or contaminated fruits and vegetables.
  • By handling certain animals, such as reptiles (including pet turtles), chicks, or ducklings.
Who's At Risk
Anyone who comes into contact with Salmonella-infected foods may develop symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea; the very young, very old, and those who have a compromised immune system are at much higher risk of developing more serious complications from salmonellosis, such as bacteria in the blood stream (sepsis) and death. 
Signs and Symptoms
Symptoms of salmonellosis include the following:
  • Fever
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Vomiting
These symptoms start within hours to days of ingesting the contaminated food and usually last for about a week.
Self-Care Guidelines
Stay hydrated, preferably with a liquid that contains some sugar and electrolytes, such as a sports drink. Drink at least 2 liters of liquid a day. Eat a bland (not spicy) low-fat diet. Avoid milk and dairy products until the diarrhea improves. Practice good hand hygiene, as the bacteria can easily be spread from one person to another through fecal contamination.
When to Seek Medical Care
If the diarrhea becomes bloody or lasts longer than a few days, or if you develop a high fever, see your doctor. If you experience signs of dehydration, such as dizziness or fainting, or if you have mental confusion, see a doctor immediately. 
Treatments Your Physician May Prescribe
Some Salmonella infections do not necessarily need to be treated, so your doctor may not prescribe anything. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever (caused by S.Typhi and S. Paratyphi) are usually treated with antibiotics. Your doctor may test a sample of your stool for cells and bacteria, and he/she may choose to prescribe an antibiotic based on this test. There is no vaccine available for the types of Salmonella that cause salmonellosis. There is a vaccine available for S.Typhi, however, the bacterium that causes typhoid fever.



References

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Salmonellosis. Division of Foodborne, Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases (DFBMD).http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/salmonellosis_gi.html. Modified May 21, 2008. Accessed May 26, 2008.

1 komentar:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete