Monday, April 8, 2013

Scabies (Pediatric)


Overview
Scabies is an itchy skin condition caused by a tiny mite called Sarcoptes scabiei that can live and multiply on skin. Scabies is not an "infection;" it is an "infestation," but the two words tend to be used interchangeably when discussing scabies. Scabies is passed between people by prolonged skin-to-skin contact. Scabies is extremely contagious and spreads rapidly in crowded conditions such as hospitals, nursing homes, child-care facilities, and other situations where people spend extended periods of time in close contact with each other.

The itchy rash of scabies develops when a pregnant female mite burrows into the outer surface (superficial) skin and lays eggs. The human immune system is highly sensitive to the presence of the mite and produces a massive allergic response, which causes intense itching. Although a typical infection includes only 10–20 mites, people are so sensitive to the mite that hundreds of itchy skin lesions are created. Without treatment, the condition will not usually improve.
Who's At Risk
Scabies is seen in people of all races, of all ages, and of both sexes.

Scabies is not caused by lack of personal hygiene, though it is more frequently seen in people who live in crowded conditions.

Other individuals at risk include:
  • Children
  • Mothers of young children
  • Sexually active young adults
  • People living in nursing homes
  • Nursing home staff
Signs and Symptoms
Although the entire body may itch, the most common locations for the lesions of scabies in older children and adults include:
  • The areas between the fingers (finger webs)
  • Inner wrists, inner elbows, and armpits
  • Breasts of females and genitalia of males
  • Navel (umbilicus)
  • Lower abdomen
  • Buttocks
  • Backs of knees
In young children, the lesions of scabies are most commonly seen on the:
  • Trunk, arms, and legs
  • Head and neck
  • Palms of the hands and soles of the feet
The most obvious signs of scabies are pink-to-red bumps, which can look like pimples or bug bites; because of scratching, they may be scabbed. However, the tell-tale lesion of scabies is the burrow, which is small, subtle, and difficult to detect. Typically, a burrow appears as a fine, thread-like, scaly line (3–10 mm long), sometimes with a tiny black speck (the burrowing mite) at one end. A 2- or 3-power magnifying glass can help when looking for burrows.

Scabies is intensely itchy, especially at night.

Scratching the itchy lesions can create breaks in the skin, and these breaks can become infected with bacteria.

People who are exposed to scabies may not develop itchy lesions for up to 6 weeks after becoming infested, as the immune system takes some time to recognize the mites and develop an allergic response to them. However, individuals who have had scabies before may develop the rash within several days of re-exposure.
Self-Care Guidelines
Though scabies is extremely contagious, it usually requires prolonged skin-to-skin contact with a person already infested. A quick handshake or hug will not normally spread the infection. However, scabies is easily spread to sexual partners and to other members of the household. Less commonly, it may be spread by sharing towels, clothing, or bedding.

Scabies requires prescription medication in order to stop the infestation. Once your child is under a doctor's care, there are steps you can take to prevent scabies from coming back:
  • Mites cannot survive off the human body for more than 48–71 hours. Therefore, wash all clothing, bedding, and towels used by the infested person in the previous 72 hours in hot water and dry these items in a hot dryer.
  • Vacuum all carpets, rugs, and upholstered furniture, and discard the vacuum bags.
When to Seek Medical Care
See your child's doctor for evaluation if he or she develops an extremely itchy rash. If other members of the household or your child's close contacts have similar itchy rashes, make sure they are also evaluated by a physician.
Treatments Your Physician May Prescribe
The physician may be able to diagnose scabies simply by examining your child's skin for typical lesions such as burrows. A skin scraping, called a scabies preparation, may be examined under the microscope for mites, eggs, or mite droppings (feces).

In most cases of scabies, the doctor may recommend a topical cream or lotion, such as:
  • Permethrin cream – Apply at night, and rinse off in the morning. Use the permethrin cream again in 1 week.
  • Crotamiton cream – Apply once daily for 2 consecutive days, and rinse off 48 hours after last application.
  • Sulfur ointment – Apply nightly for 3 consecutive nights, and rinse off 24 hours after last application. This is often the best choice for babies and for pregnant and nursing women because it is very safe to use.
  • Lindane lotion or cream – Wash the cream or lotion off after 8 hours. Lindane may be toxic to some people. Infants and young children should not be treated with lindane, nor should pregnant or breast-feeding women or people with diseases affecting the nerves (neurological diseases).
When using a topical cream, lotion, or ointment, be sure to follow these steps (unless the physician gives other instructions):
  • Apply to the entire body from the neck down.
  • Smear the product beneath your child's fingernails and toenails.
  • Apply to body folds, including inside the navel, in the buttock crease, and between the toes.
For more severe scabies, your child's doctor may prescribe oral medications:
  • Ivermectin pills – Take once and then repeat 1–2 weeks later. Ivermectin should not be used for children aged younger than 5 years or who weigh less than 15 kg (about 35 lb), or pregnant or lactating women.
  • Antihistamine pill.
  • Antibiotic pills – If any scratched areas appear to be infected with bacteria, your physician may prescribe oral antibiotics.
Itching may take up to 3 weeks to go away, as your child's immune system continues to react to dead mites. However, new burrows and rashes should stop appearing 48 hours after effective treatment.

Your doctor should remind you to launder towels, bed linens, and clothes used by your child in the previous 72 hours and to vacuum carpets, rugs, and upholstered furniture.

Household members, sexual partners, and anyone else with prolonged skin-to-skin contact with an infested person should also seek treatment from their doctors. Since the initial development (incubation time) for scabies infestations can be from 6–8 weeks, people may be infected with scabies, but since they do not yet feel itchy, they are unaware that they have infestation. If untreated, these close contacts could pass the mites back to your child. Ideally, everyone should be treated at the same time in order to prevent re-infestation.



References

Bolognia, Jean L., ed. Dermatology, pp.1321-1324. New York: Mosby, 2003.

Freedberg, Irwin M., ed. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 6th ed. pp.1374, 2283-2284. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.

5 komentar:

  1. For more information about Pigmentation Treatments in Delhi Remedies you can visit us online http://skindelhi.com/pigmentation.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete