Saturday, April 13, 2013

Scaly Skin (Ichthyosis Vulgaris)


Overview
Ichthyosis vulgaris, also known as common ichthyosis or fish scale disease, is a skin condition resulting in scaly skin, especially on the arms and legs. Its name is derived from the Greek word meaning "fish."

Ichthyosis vulgaris can be a trait passed on in families (hereditary), or it may develop later in life as a result of certain exposures (acquired). The hereditary type, also called congenital ichthyosis vulgaris, first appears in early childhood and accounts for more than 95% of cases of ichthyosis vulgaris. The acquired type usually develops in adulthood and results from an internal disease or the use of certain medications.
Who's At Risk
Ichthyosis vulgaris is found in people of all races and of both sexes. Hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris is fairly common. As many as 1 in 250 children may have hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris. On the other hand, acquired ichthyosis vulgaris is rare and is found almost exclusively in adults.

In hereditary ichthyosis, usually at least one of the affected person's parents had the same dry, scaly skin as a child. It is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion, meaning that each child of an affected parent has a 50-50 chance of having hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris.
Signs and Symptoms
The most common locations for ichthyosis vulgaris include:
  • Fronts (extensor surfaces) of the legs
  • Backs (extensor surfaces) of the arms
  • Scalp
  • Back
  • Forehead and cheeks, especially in younger children
The scales of ichthyosis vulgaris range in size from 1–10 mm and in color from white to gray to brown, with darker-skinned people often having darker scales. The legs are usually affected more than the arms. The creases on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet are prominent and often crack during dry or cold weather. However, the scaling tends to improve in more humid or warmer weather.

The following areas tend to NOT be affected:
  • Face
  • Front of the neck
  • Abdomen
  • Folds in front of the elbows (flexural surfaces of the arms)
  • Folds behind the knees (flexural surfaces of the legs)
Hereditary ichthyosis and acquired ichthyosis look similar, and both are usually itchy. However, the acquired form occurs in people with many internal conditions, including:
  • Poor nutrition
  • Infections, such as leprosy or HIV/AIDS
  • Glandular diseases, such as thyroid or parathyroid problems
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Cancer, such as lymphoma or multiple myeloma
  • Use of certain medications, such as nicotinic acid, cimetidine, and clofazimine
Self-Care Guidelines
Hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris tends to improve after puberty, while acquired ichthyosis vulgaris requires treatment of the medical condition before it will improve.

However, both conditions should improve by restoring moisture (hydration) to the skin. Creams and ointments are better moisturizers than lotions, and they work best when applied just after bathing, while the skin is still moist. The following over-the-counter products may be helpful:
  • Preparations containing alpha-hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid or lactic acid
  • Creams containing urea
  • Over-the-counter cortisone cream (if the areas are itchy)
Any cracks in the skin should be treated immediately with an over-the-counter topical antibiotic ointment (eg, Neosporin®) in order to prevent an infection. 
When to Seek Medical Care
If your child continues to have very dry, scaly skin despite twice daily application of an over-the-counter moisturizer, be sure to tell his/her pediatrician.

Any adult who develops dry, scaly skin that is not improved by twice daily application of an over-the-counter moisturizer should see a physician for evaluation.
Treatments Your Physician May Prescribe
To treat the dry, scaly skin of ichthyosis vulgaris, the physician may recommend a topical cream or lotion containing the following:
  • Prescription-strength alpha- or beta-hydroxy acids (glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid)
  • Prescription-strength urea
  • A retinoid medication such as tretinoin or tazarotene
  • High concentrations of propylene glycol
For more severe, stubborn ichthyosis vulgaris, oral treatments may include:
  • Isotretinoin, a very strong medication with many potential side effects, usually used in the treatment of severe, scarring acne
The chance for recovery (prognosis) for a child with hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris is excellent, as most individuals improve after puberty.

If acquired ichthyosis vulgaris is suspected, the doctor will likely attempt to determine the underlying medical condition or the medication that triggered its development. The prognosis for an adult with acquired ichthyosis vulgaris depends upon treating the underlying medical condition or discontinuing the triggering medication.



References

Bolognia, Jean L., ed. Dermatology, pp.775-781. New York: Mosby, 2003.

Freedberg, Irwin M., ed. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 6th ed, pp.486, 482, 2353. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.

3 komentar:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of now, there is no known cure for this condition. Herbal Treatment for Ichthyosis with coconut oil is done to manage and control the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete