Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Scarlet Fever


Overview
Scarlet fever is an infection with a type of bacteria called Streptococcus, which not only causes a throat infection ("strep throat"), but also produces a poison (toxin) causing the distinctive rash of scarlet fever. Some people are more sensitive to the toxin than others, so not everyone in a family who is infected will have the rash, even if they have the throat infection. Sometimes the area of infection is the skin rather than the throat, a condition called impetigo.

Scarlet fever is contagious to people who come into close contact with an infected child.

Complications are rare but can include deeper tissue infections, rheumatic fever, and kidney disease.
Who's At Risk
  • Scarlet fever is rare in children under the age of 2, because substances from the mother's immune system (antibodies) protect the child up to that age.
  • The peak ages for infection are 4–8 years. By age 10, most children have developed their own immunity to the toxin.
  • Because infection is spread by fluids from the airways (respiratory secretions), infection rates are higher in crowded situations.
Signs and Symptoms
Scarlet fever is accompanied by a sandpaper-like rash of 1–2 mm red bumps, which merge together, starting on the neck, then moving to the trunk, and finally to the arms and legs (extremities). It is sometimes a bit itchy. If scarlet fever develops on body creases (armpits, elbow folds), red streaks may appear.

Fever, chills, body aches, nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite may occur.

When the throat is the main area of infection, the tonsils may become enlarged, red, and tender. Other areas (lymph nodes) in the neck may become swollen. At first, the tongue has a white coating, giving a "white strawberry" tongue appearance, which then falls off (sheds) to reveal a bright red strawberry tongue. The rash does not affect the palms and soles at first, but later on, these areas may peel. The rash usually lasts for 4–5 days, and as it fades (subsides), skin on the neck and face start to peel, and eventually the hands and feet start to peel as well.
Self-Care Guidelines
It is difficult to avoid infection of others who are not immune in the household. However, you might try to:
  • Keep eating and clothing items used by an ill child away from other people, and wash them in hot soapy water.
  • The child's caregivers should wash their hands frequently.
  • Keep the child comfortable with acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or ibuprofen for fever relief.
  • Have your child eat soft foods, drink plenty of liquids, and apply lotions such as calamine for itching, if needed.
When to Seek Medical Care
Call your child's doctor if you suspect that the child may have scarlet fever.
Treatments Your Physician May Prescribe
The doctor will usually do a throat or skin culture or a rapid-strep test to confirm the diagnosis. If Streptococcus infection is confirmed, prescription antibiotics are will be prescribed, to be taken for about 10 days.



References

Bolognia, Jean L., ed. Dermatology, pp.1119-1120. New York: Mosby, 2003.

Freedberg, Irwin M., ed. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 6th ed. pp.1871-1873. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.

3 komentar:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete